Is Classic Day & Specialty Camp happening this year?
Yes! We have implemented numerous protocols that are now in place to mitigate the spread of Coronavirus and are looking forward to providing our community a place for kids to just be kids! We are calling Camp Wonder an Essential Day Camp this year.
- As our community begins coming back to work and our economy begins the healing process, our program is essential for working parents who need well supervised summer programs for their children, especially among our vast, wide open spaces that HNC can uniquely offer.
- Our program is essential in addressing much need time in nature, and pure outdoor play and socialization for children.
- This camp plays an essential role, especially during this pandemic, in helping kids to heal, grow new skills and be active.
IMPORTANT: Licensed by the State of Michigan, the Howell Nature Center will only be permitted to operate within PHASE FOUR of Governor Whitmer’s “MI Safe Start Plan.”
What safety measures are you putting in place to protect our kids?
Our summer programs are now designed with necessary mitigating protocols against the spread of the Coronavirus. Our plan is to facilitate our Project S.A.F.E. summer initiative (Safety at all times; Active programming with new and old friends; Fun and growth every day; and Essential Day Camp for our working community and their children). Project S.A.F.E. includes, but is not limited to:
- New Health Office Coordinator position to oversee our newly updated health & safety protocols recommended by the CDC and sanctioned by local health officials.
- Health screenings for staff and campers every morning followed by contact-free drop-off and pick-up.
- Campers will stay in small group sizes as recommended by the CDC.
- Handwashing before and after every program.
- Increased frequency of cleaning and sanitation of shared spaces, including bathrooms.
- When possible, programs will maintain social distancing.
Can you guarantee my child will not get coronavirus?
In our new health landscape, managing risk and safety protocols are being redefined. Unfortunately, due to the nature of COVID-19, at no point can we guarantee that we can completely eliminate the risk of coronavirus at camp. However, we are working with local health department officials and following the Center for Disease Control and American Camp Association guidelines to best mitigate the spread of the virus.
Are you requiring masks be worn by staff and campers?
When indoors, HNC staff will always be required to wear masks. Children will be strongly encouraged, but not required, to wear masks indoors. When outside in the fresh air, masks are optional while social distancing will strongly be enforced.
Will camp still be “FUN” with all of these safety measures?
Yes! Our Camp Leadership team has been working around-the-clock to develop new and exciting programs that promote social distancing, as well as modifying favorite activities such as zip lining and archery. We will still enjoy swimming and fishing in the lake, playing on the Aqua Toy, and learning outdoor survival skills. Our counselors will be trained to promote a positive atmosphere where kids can leave the stress of COVID-19 behind!
Will you have a VIRTUAL DAY CAMP option?
We understand that camp is not for every family this year. However, we know that children need camp more than ever after a difficult spring! As such, we are preparing a brand-new program—VIRTUAL CAMP! We are formalizing affordable options that will allow children to experience the magical camp community from the safety of their own home. Stay tuned for more details.