Welcome to Camp Wonder
at the Howell Nature Center
Due to the overwhelming popularity of our Classic Day Camp, all our scheduled weeks are full!
The “GREAT EIGHT” – Our Core Values
1. NATURE – Building a lasting connection with the natural world.
2. GROWTH – Learning new skills, growing personally and achieving full potential.
3. KINDNESS – Fostering simple acts of kindness resulting in a ripple effect.
4. RESPECT – Teaching children to value themselves and others.
5. FRIENDSHIP – Increasing a sense of belonging, confidence and self-worth.
6. TEAMWORK – Strengthening communication, collaboration and social skills.
7. STEWARDSHIP – Empowering kids to make the world greener and healthier.
8. LEADERSHIP – Emboldening kids to become better leaders and make a difference.
For more information on Camp Wonder (pricing/descriptions), check out the Camp Wonder Summer Programs Guide below:
Summer Camp Preview Dates
Camp Wonder at the Howell Nature Center invites new and returning summer campers to preview our 2020 Summer Camp Programs. Bring your friends and family for an afternoon “camp sampler” of exciting summer programs and activities. Meet the staff, tour the facility and have all of your questions about summer programs answered!
Summer Camp Previews run from 2 to 5 p.m. Advanced registration required.
Outstanding Staff – “Team Nature”
We understand the importance of role models for today’s youth. Each summer we hire over 60 enthusiastic and caring staff to shape and impact campers’ lives. All staff members undergo background checks and a stringent training program. We stand dedicated to providing a safe and fun experience for your child.
Health and Safety First
Always thinking safety first, certified health officers are available 24 hours per day. Camp leaders are Red Cross First Aid and CPR certified and all aquatic and adventure-based programs are operated by qualified and certified staff.
Spirit of Alexandria Sponsorships
The Spirit of Alexandria Foundation (SOA) was created in honor of the legacy of Alexandria Bennett, a little girl who was passionate about exploring the mysteries of the natural world and selflessly sharing those wonders with others. Through her inspiration, the SOA Foundation was formed with the simple goal of connecting thousands of children to nature. The SOA Foundation offers sponsorships on a first come basis. Campers must submit a short essay describing why they are interested in attending camp. SOA sponsorship applications can be accessed online during the camp registration process.
HNC Campership Assistance Program
For Day & Overnight Camps Not Sponsored by the Spirit of Alexandria Foundation
Because we believe every child should have the opportunity to experience summer camp regardless of their inability to pay, the Howell Nature Center has a Tuition Assistance Program. If your family is in need of financial assistance for your child(ren) to attend summer camp, please start by creating an account and register your campers. Complete all required forms, then fill out the HNC Campership Application, this electronic form is located in Step 3 of the online registration process. Then pay required deposits. You will be notified of your scholarship within three weeks.
Please Note: HNC Campership Assistance is available based on financial need.
Campership Assistance based on availability.
Tips for online registration
- Payment: Note that payment (deposit or payment in full) will be required to complete registration.
- Grade/group for your camper: Please remember to register your camper for the grade they will be entering in the Fall.
- Multiple campers: If you are registering multiple campers for the second sibling rate, please register them at the same time to receive the discount.
- Returning to your registration: If you are not able to complete your registration, you may return later. Please note that your camper’s spot will remain there as long as a spot is available. However, if your registration is not complete, another camper can take the spot.
- SOA Scholarships: If you are seeking an SOA scholarship for camp, please proceed through the online registration process available here.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Please read through the Tuition Assistance Guidelines and fill out the provided form.
- Policy Information: Prior to registering online, please see the following packets for policy information: Day Camp Parent Policy Packet or Overnight & Excursions Parent Policy Packet.
For more information on Camp Wonder (Pricing/Descriptions), check out the Camp Wonder Summer Camp Guide!